Sunday, May 30, 2010

Details

So. Here's how the opera went!
First, we arrived at the theater, called Queen Elizabeth Theater, and it wasn't too crowded. We happily walked over to the VIP desk (oh yeah) and got our passes. Then we were welcomed inside by this nice lady named Selina :) She knew David, so they said friendly hellos.
The room was pretty packed, with mostly older people, and a few odd people such as a) I saw a old-ish woman with tattoos on her legs. b) There were a few drag queens, maybe but I'm not exactly sure. c) There were some punk teenagers with spiky hair. Anyway, we chatted with some of David's friends, and talked about the opera, and then the doors opened and we were let in!
Soon, the opera started. It began with these people all dressed in black, doing this little scene. And then, Pinkerton came on (the male lead) and began to sing. Oh my god, he was so good! I could never sing that high... And the female lead, Butterfly, was just AMAZING! It was such a dramatic story, with so many emotions, and, though it was in Italian, it was very easy to understand due to the English subtitles up on a screen at the top. It was such a new and great experience--I really liked it.
I won't tell you the whole synopsis of the show, because it would give it away ;)
Then intermission.
We went out and mingled again, and by now the room was packed and if you wanted to get from one side of the room to the other, you'd have to literally squeeze through. Everyone was talking about the opera, and how much they liked it... I agreed. David and I walked past some guys on computers, and he told me They Were the Bloggers. Hehehe. Am I a "blogger"?
So, intermission ended, and the second half was almost as good as the first--all the amazing singing, intricate costumes, gorgeous lighting, dramatic acting--with one exception. At this one part, when it was supposed to be another intermission, they didn't want to carry the show on too long so instead they hung down these screens, and there were all these random drawings and colours on them. I found that a little boring, since it went on for a while. But then, when the show started, it was amazing all over again :)
So IN SHORT: I really liked it :D
And seriously? It's not all that old fashioned. It's just a really good show. You guys should try going to an opera--they strongly encourage young people. In fact, there's a discount on the tickets...
Another interesting fact: there was no amplification! None at all! Not for the instruments, nor the singing... I was amazed at how loud it could still be, and how the strong voices carried throughout the whole just-under-3000-people-seated theater! Again, amazing. Almost, inhuman.
At the end, I asked David, "So are you going to give it a good review?"
"Definitely!" he said.
By noon this morning, it'll be in the Vancouver Sun :)
Tootles!
-Kay.

4 comments:

  1. that sounds like tons of fun! :)
    ive never been to an opera ..
    but ive been to a musical on broadway :)
    LOL..gotta tell me more about it l8r!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously?! a musical?! that's awesome :) and yeah, it was really fun!!! We should hang out soon.. but I'm not free tonight because I have a piano recital. Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm..
    maybe monday
    but im not sure D:
    i ahve exams in a week
    so my parents are forcing
    me to study..
    and i also wanna study..to get a good mark
    and stuff :P
    but maybe, ill call you ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, actually... i should probably study, too. but it'll only take me like an hour, so maybe we could hang at like five??

    ReplyDelete

If you're thinking twice about commenting, I'll make the decision easier--please do comment! It doesn't matter who you are, or how you found my blog, but if you have something nice to say that will make me smile please don't hesitate :) Love, Kayla.